Friday, June 15, 2012

Hike 1: Lincoln Memorial to Lincoln Park

After graduation started, I embarked on the first hike in the book since I was in the middle of DC anyway.  This one was an 8 mile loop from Lincoln Memorial on the National Mall to Lincoln Park on Capitol Hill.  I skipped the section between the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument cuz I've "been there, done that," but the rest of the trip was quite interesting - I saw a lot of parts of DC I'd never set foot in before!

I started the bike/hike at Constitution and 9th, passing the National Archives and going through John Marshall Park.



Past the Court of Appeals and the statue of Lincoln, there's a monument called the Japanese American Memorial to Patriotism during World War II.  The what?  Yup - it was opened ten years ago to recognize the unjust wartime internment of over 120,000 Japanese Americans and honors the Japanese Americans who served in the armed forces.



You get a really clear picture of the Capitol about a block down - lots of tourists and government workers around here!  I had to walk my bike for a bit. 


Biked about a mile down Constitution Ave through a very nice residential neighborhood and hit Lincoln Park on Massachusetts Ave.  There's two large monuments in the park - one to Lincoln (duh) called Emancipation and one for Mary McLeod Bethune, a black educator, civil right leader, and founder of the National Council of Negro Women.  There's also a little playground.  Lincoln Park is "Mommy Central" - there were women with strollers and babies everywhere! 



Everyone knows I'm directionally challenged, but the book is very detailed and I didn't really get confused until I hit Eastern Market.  By then, the rain had picked up and I was getting all wet so I hopped on the metro and rode to lunch.  :)  Taking your bike on Metro is a bit complicated, actually - definitely go when it's not crowded (you're not allowed to have your bike during rush hour anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment